Close
Back HOME Menu
Close

SMU Acceptance

Thread: SMU Acceptance

Tags: None
  1. Mangotango15 said:

    SMU Acceptance

    Can anyone tell me how SMU notifies you if your acceptance? Preferably if you were accepted in the last year or so? Thanks!
     
  2. jimmycratner said:
    Honest advice is to stay far far away. The school is currently trying to milk as much money as it can before it's shut down which will be soon.
     
  3. Mangotango15 said:
    What's this about it getting shut down? Details please!
     
  4. jimmycratner said:
    Sorry forgot to answer your question btw: SMU notifies you via e-mail about your acceptance. The acceptance is honestly a joke just like the interview.

    Now lets get to the details about getting shut down. The amount of corruption at this school is ludicrous. And there are paid people on this website who will intervene within threads, and get defensive and tell lies about the school to make it seem great. The school got a contract with a new shady loan program which it will milk until it shuts down. This has happened numerous times before, but this will be the last due to the fact that it won't be profitable after a year or 2 when students can't obtain any residency. As it was, the entering summer semester had 8 students from what I recall. And the numbers keep going down.

    True story about attrition rate
    Truth be told, 90%-100% of the students at this school repeat at least one semester. On a low end, I'd say 70% do not end up completing the basic sciences program alone. And that number is very conservative. Out of the remaining 30%, there is a whopping 40% who do not complete the MD due to shelf, step, clinicals, etc. That leaves with 100*.3*.6=18% are remaining from the initial pool at this point. And based on the official NMRP, the match rate for this students is ~33.3%. That means that out of the remaining 18% of students, 2/3 do not match. Now you're left with 100*(.3)*(.6)*(.33)=6% of the initial batch of students who actually end up getting a job as a doctor. This is a fact, not a theory.

    I am a student who finished 5 semesters on the island and it took me about 3 years. I transferred to a different school with a better loan program. After spending 20k extra per semester on repeats, I can say that it is not worth the extra money nor time. I am amongst the top 6% of students at the school. Do yourself a huge favor and spend the extra year or 2 or 3 and get into a US med school because this caribbean school is garbage, and it won't last long.

    Defrauding students
    One can argue it's the students fault all they want, but it's simply not true when students are doing well on board review book questions, but miserably failing exams. I can attest to the fact that they do in fact manipulate students using lockdown browser. Not all students have identical questions. Some students do in fact have parts of question stems removed, which is done to increase the difficulty of exams to maintain a certain average. And the best part of the scam is that once the exam is taken, it’s all done and over. Students have no proof that they were defrauded, or do they? Time will tell, SMU, time will tell. You think there’s no proof out there, but you’ll be surprised. There are exams in which there are 30 students taking an exam, and the highest score is 70-80%. It is highly unethical and immoral for the professors to manipulate students like this, but they do it anyway. And there is a common trend amongst the students who are passing every class the first time around. One of these trends is that they aren't seen studying, and a second trend is that they fail the comp and/or step 1.

    Finest corruption at SMU
    There are certain profs who have illegal copies of the NBME shelf, which certain students also possess. There is documented evidence about this, which will be presented in the future. This alone will get the school barred from NBME privileges. If you thought the california disapproval is bad, time will tell you that it's about to get much worse.

    SMU is not in existence to give students a second chance. If it were so legitimate, then why wouldn't it just operate in the US? Yes, that last part goes for all caribbean schools btw.
     
  5. Mangotango15 said:
    Really good to know and thank you for being so honest about your experience. I don't discredit your experience in the least bit.

    For those that do match in residency, so you have an idea of where they ended up (e.g. state or province)? Did you hear any feedback from practicing doctors about their experiences as well?
     
  6. jimmycratner said:
    Most end up matching in either New York or in very rural areas. I heard of someone matching in Maryland, but that's a rare occurrence. The Florida affiliation is more of a gimmick, since some students do clinicals there, although I'm sure that a few that have connections do match there, but I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket.

    Also be weary of the match list on their website. Some of the students listed are in years 2,3 of residency, and some are who had to apply for years to match.
     
  7. boycottsmu said:
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmycratner View Post
    Sorry forgot to answer your question btw: SMU notifies you via e-mail about your acceptance. The acceptance is honestly a joke just like the interview.

    Now lets get to the details about getting shut down. The amount of corruption at this school is ludicrous. And there are paid people on this website who will intervene within threads, and get defensive and tell lies about the school to make it seem great. The school got a contract with a new shady loan program which it will milk until it shuts down. This has happened numerous times before, but this will be the last due to the fact that it won't be profitable after a year or 2 when students can't obtain any residency. As it was, the entering summer semester had 8 students from what I recall. And the numbers keep going down.

    True story about attrition rate
    Truth be told, 90%-100% of the students at this school repeat at least one semester. On a low end, I'd say 70% do not end up completing the basic sciences program alone. And that number is very conservative. Out of the remaining 30%, there is a whopping 40% who do not complete the MD due to shelf, step, clinicals, etc. That leaves with 100*.3*.6=18% are remaining from the initial pool at this point. And based on the official NMRP, the match rate for this students is ~33.3%. That means that out of the remaining 18% of students, 2/3 do not match. Now you're left with 100*(.3)*(.6)*(.33)=6% of the initial batch of students who actually end up getting a job as a doctor. This is a fact, not a theory.

    I am a student who finished 5 semesters on the island and it took me about 3 years. I transferred to a different school with a better loan program. After spending 20k extra per semester on repeats, I can say that it is not worth the extra money nor time. I am amongst the top 6% of students at the school. Do yourself a huge favor and spend the extra year or 2 or 3 and get into a US med school because this caribbean school is garbage, and it won't last long.

    Defrauding students
    One can argue it's the students fault all they want, but it's simply not true when students are doing well on board review book questions, but miserably failing exams. I can attest to the fact that they do in fact manipulate students using lockdown browser. Not all students have identical questions. Some students do in fact have parts of question stems removed, which is done to increase the difficulty of exams to maintain a certain average. And the best part of the scam is that once the exam is taken, itís all done and over. Students have no proof that they were defrauded, or do they? Time will tell, SMU, time will tell. You think thereís no proof out there, but youíll be surprised. There are exams in which there are 30 students taking an exam, and the highest score is 70-80%. It is highly unethical and immoral for the professors to manipulate students like this, but they do it anyway. And there is a common trend amongst the students who are passing every class the first time around. One of these trends is that they aren't seen studying, and a second trend is that they fail the comp and/or step 1.

    Finest corruption at SMU
    There are certain profs who have illegal copies of the NBME shelf, which certain students also possess. There is documented evidence about this, which will be presented in the future. This alone will get the school barred from NBME privileges. If you thought the california disapproval is bad, time will tell you that it's about to get much worse.

    SMU is not in existence to give students a second chance. If it were so legitimate, then why wouldn't it just operate in the US? Yes, that last part goes for all caribbean schools btw.
    I can confirm this is 100% true. I did not believe the corruption until I fell a victim to it. NO ONE SHOULD GO TO THIS SCHOOL
     
  8. ImHere2SaveYou said:
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmycratner View Post
    Sorry forgot to answer your question btw: SMU notifies you via e-mail about your acceptance. The acceptance is honestly a joke just like the interview.

    Now lets get to the details about getting shut down. The amount of corruption at this school is ludicrous. And there are paid people on this website who will intervene within threads, and get defensive and tell lies about the school to make it seem great. The school got a contract with a new shady loan program which it will milk until it shuts down. This has happened numerous times before, but this will be the last due to the fact that it won't be profitable after a year or 2 when students can't obtain any residency. As it was, the entering summer semester had 8 students from what I recall. And the numbers keep going down.

    True story about attrition rate
    Truth be told, 90%-100% of the students at this school repeat at least one semester. On a low end, I'd say 70% do not end up completing the basic sciences program alone. And that number is very conservative. Out of the remaining 30%, there is a whopping 40% who do not complete the MD due to shelf, step, clinicals, etc. That leaves with 100*.3*.6=18% are remaining from the initial pool at this point. And based on the official NMRP, the match rate for this students is ~33.3%. That means that out of the remaining 18% of students, 2/3 do not match. Now you're left with 100*(.3)*(.6)*(.33)=6% of the initial batch of students who actually end up getting a job as a doctor. This is a fact, not a theory.

    I am a student who finished 5 semesters on the island and it took me about 3 years. I transferred to a different school with a better loan program. After spending 20k extra per semester on repeats, I can say that it is not worth the extra money nor time. I am amongst the top 6% of students at the school. Do yourself a huge favor and spend the extra year or 2 or 3 and get into a US med school because this caribbean school is garbage, and it won't last long.

    Defrauding students
    One can argue it's the students fault all they want, but it's simply not true when students are doing well on board review book questions, but miserably failing exams. I can attest to the fact that they do in fact manipulate students using lockdown browser. Not all students have identical questions. Some students do in fact have parts of question stems removed, which is done to increase the difficulty of exams to maintain a certain average. And the best part of the scam is that once the exam is taken, itís all done and over. Students have no proof that they were defrauded, or do they? Time will tell, SMU, time will tell. You think thereís no proof out there, but youíll be surprised. There are exams in which there are 30 students taking an exam, and the highest score is 70-80%. It is highly unethical and immoral for the professors to manipulate students like this, but they do it anyway. And there is a common trend amongst the students who are passing every class the first time around. One of these trends is that they aren't seen studying, and a second trend is that they fail the comp and/or step 1.

    Finest corruption at SMU
    There are certain profs who have illegal copies of the NBME shelf, which certain students also possess. There is documented evidence about this, which will be presented in the future. This alone will get the school barred from NBME privileges. If you thought the california disapproval is bad, time will tell you that it's about to get much worse.

    SMU is not in existence to give students a second chance. If it were so legitimate, then why wouldn't it just operate in the US? Yes, that last part goes for all caribbean schools btw.
    I mean if it was that easy everyone would be trying to go to a US MD school. People are seriously asking if there 2.0 GPA and 10 MCAT can make them a doctor. This is why institutions like this exist.
     
  9. DianaPrince said:

    Corrupt and unethical SMU

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmycratner View Post
    Sorry forgot to answer your question btw: SMU notifies you via e-mail about your acceptance. The acceptance is honestly a joke just like the interview.

    Now lets get to the details about getting shut down. The amount of corruption at this school is ludicrous. And there are paid people on this website who will intervene within threads, and get defensive and tell lies about the school to make it seem great. The school got a contract with a new shady loan program which it will milk until it shuts down. This has happened numerous times before, but this will be the last due to the fact that it won't be profitable after a year or 2 when students can't obtain any residency. As it was, the entering summer semester had 8 students from what I recall. And the numbers keep going down.

    True story about attrition rate
    Truth be told, 90%-100% of the students at this school repeat at least one semester. On a low end, I'd say 70% do not end up completing the basic sciences program alone. And that number is very conservative. Out of the remaining 30%, there is a whopping 40% who do not complete the MD due to shelf, step, clinicals, etc. That leaves with 100*.3*.6=18% are remaining from the initial pool at this point. And based on the official NMRP, the match rate for this students is ~33.3%. That means that out of the remaining 18% of students, 2/3 do not match. Now you're left with 100*(.3)*(.6)*(.33)=6% of the initial batch of students who actually end up getting a job as a doctor. This is a fact, not a theory.

    I am a student who finished 5 semesters on the island and it took me about 3 years. I transferred to a different school with a better loan program. After spending 20k extra per semester on repeats, I can say that it is not worth the extra money nor time. I am amongst the top 6% of students at the school. Do yourself a huge favor and spend the extra year or 2 or 3 and get into a US med school because this caribbean school is garbage, and it won't last long.

    Defrauding students
    One can argue it's the students fault all they want, but it's simply not true when students are doing well on board review book questions, but miserably failing exams. I can attest to the fact that they do in fact manipulate students using lockdown browser. Not all students have identical questions. Some students do in fact have parts of question stems removed, which is done to increase the difficulty of exams to maintain a certain average. And the best part of the scam is that once the exam is taken, itís all done and over. Students have no proof that they were defrauded, or do they? Time will tell, SMU, time will tell. You think thereís no proof out there, but youíll be surprised. There are exams in which there are 30 students taking an exam, and the highest score is 70-80%. It is highly unethical and immoral for the professors to manipulate students like this, but they do it anyway. And there is a common trend amongst the students who are passing every class the first time around. One of these trends is that they aren't seen studying, and a second trend is that they fail the comp and/or step 1.

    Finest corruption at SMU
    There are certain profs who have illegal copies of the NBME shelf, which certain students also possess. There is documented evidence about this, which will be presented in the future. This alone will get the school barred from NBME privileges. If you thought the california disapproval is bad, time will tell you that it's about to get much worse.

    SMU is not in existence to give students a second chance. If it were so legitimate, then why wouldn't it just operate in the US? Yes, that last part goes for all caribbean schools btw.

    This has been going on for years. They are asking for a major class action suit and I hope it happens. Exams are manipulated on the lockdown browser and they do this to milk money out of students by forcing them to repeat classes that they had actually passed. It is a scam, without question, and there are instructors there who know it is happening but don't speak up for fear of losing their jobs. Florida admin knows about it and they don't care. It's a sad situation.
     
  10. smuvictim0001 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaPrince View Post
    This has been going on for years. They are asking for a major class action suit and I hope it happens. Exams are manipulated on the lockdown browser and they do this to milk money out of students by forcing them to repeat classes that they had actually passed. It is a scam, without question, and there are instructors there who know it is happening but don't speak up for fear of losing their jobs. Florida admin knows about it and they don't care. It's a sad situation.
    Unfortunately, I don't think that it would be possible to win a class action lawsuit. Especially not if you ever dream of obtaining a residency to repay your debt. You see, they planned this scam with the most finest details. They have lawyers who know the system inside out. If you were somehow able to win a lawsuit, your lawyer fees would cost about as much. I just wish more people would speak up about it.
     
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.